Series 52 — MSRB Municipal Securities Representative Qualification Examination
The MSRB Municipal Securities Representative Qualification Exam (Series 52) qualifies you to work in many capacities related to municipal securities such as selling, underwriting, trading, advising, conducting research, and communicating with public investors. To take the Series 52 exam, you must be employed and sponsored by a broker-dealer. You must also pass the co-requisite Securities Industry Essentials (SIE) exam to obtain the Series 52 qualification. Read more Series 52 FAQs.
Solomon Exam Prep’s innovative study system has helped thousands pass their securities exams. Explore Solomon’s Series 52 study materials below and get started on your path to becoming a Municipal Securities Representative!
- RECOMMENDED STUDY TIME: 60 hours
- EXAM LENGTH: 80 questions
- EXAM TIME: 2 hours & 30 minutes
- PASSING SCORE: 70%
- TAKING EXAM: Testing is done via Prometric
The Solomon Series 52 Study Guide, written in clear easy-to-understand language, contains the information you need to know to pass your exam. Comprehensive and continually updated, the Solomon Series 52 Study Guide has helped thousands pass their exam. The Study Guide contains charts, graphs and practice questions, as well as a glossary of key terms.To view a sample click here.
The Solomon Series 52 Study Guide, written in clear easy-to-understand language, contains the information you need to know to pass your exam. Comprehensive and continually updated, the Solomon Series 52 Study Guide has helped thousands pass their exam. The Study Guide contains charts, graphs and practice questions, as well as a glossary of key terms.
The Study Guide is available in your online Solomon account (this digital guide requires Internet connection and is not downloadable). If you would like a physical book, a hard copy upgrade is available(shipping & handling will apply) that contains the same content as the online edition in your Solomon account.To view a sample click here. Please note: This is a pdf sample from the hard copy edition. If you want this look, you must purchase the hard copy upgrade.
The Series 52 Online Exam Simulator is the industry-leading, online testing solution for the Series 52—MSRB Municipal Securities Representative Qualification Examination! The web-based program provides multiple ways to prepare for the Series 52 exam.
Designed to work with the Solomon Series 52 Study Guide, the Solomon Series 52 Exam Simulator offers thousands of practice questions so you can hone, track and assess your knowledge. Once you’ve read the Study Guide, the Exam Simulator allows you to use and practice what you’ve learned.
The 180-day subscription to the Solomon Series 52 Exam Simulator offers:
• Over 1,100 original Series 52 practice questions with robust rationales which clearly explain why a specific answer is correct
• Questions updated continually to keep up with regulatory and industry changes
• Self-assessment tools that helps you identify areas that require more study
• An unlimited number of 10-question quizzes based on chapters of the Study Guide
• An unlimited number of 80-question untimed practice exams with immediate answer feedback
• An unlimited number of 80-question timed practice exams
Exam simulator subscriptions are limited to one individual.Sample a FREE demo of our Series 52 Online Exam Simulator here!
I actually initially
failed the Series 52 and was left frustrated with the previous exam prep
course that I previously took. I took a look at many of your testimonials and
thought I would take a chance on Solomon. I was not disappointed. I passed the
Series 52 on the second go, and the test was a breeze due to the preparation of
your Series 52 exam prep. I couldn't be happier with Solomon. Onward and
Akio Ohtake-Gordon, Piper Sandler & Co. Lakewood, CO.
- A speedy response
- Direct access to Solomon professors
- Personalized help
"The Ask the Professor and live chat features were excellent!"
Carol G, New York
What does a Series 52 license allow me to do?
Qualifies a financial professional to:
- Sell municipal securities (e.g., municipal bonds, agency bonds, and Section 529 College Savings Plans).
- Trade municipal securities
- Underwrite municipal securities
- Offer financial advice and consultant services to issuers of municipal securities
- Conduct research and give investment advice on municipal securities
- Communicate directly or indirectly with public investors about municipal securities
The Series 52 does not allow the financial professional to sell municipal bond funds, which are mutual funds that invest in municipal securities, unless the professional also has a Series 6 or Series 7.
A Series 52 by itself does not allow the financial representative to trade other types of securities, such as corporate stocks or bonds or U.S. government securities.
How many questions are on the exam?
The Series 52 top-off exam is made up of 75 multiple-choice questions covering all three topics in the MSRB exam outline. The MSRB evaluates new questions by including them in the exam as unscored questions. This means that your exam will have 80 questions total, with five of these being unscored. You will not know which five are unscored.
What subjects does the Series 52 exam test?
Topically, the Series 52 top-off is divided into three parts:
- Part One—Municipal Securities—60% (45 questions)
- Part Two—Economic Activity, Government Policy, and the Behavior of Interest Rates—14% (10–11 questions)
- Part Three—Securities Laws and Regulations—26% (19–20 questions)
How long is the exam?
Select a class that works for you.