Series 24: Uniform Gifts To Minors Act (UGMA) And Uniform Transfers To Minors Act (UTMA) Accounts

Taken from our Series 24 Online Guide

Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA) and Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) Accounts

Most states have enacted a Uniform Transfers to Minors Act, which supplements or replaces their previous Uniform Gifts to Minors Act. UGMA/UTMA accounts are set up by a parent or other donor to save money for a minor for future needs of many sorts. They can be used to provide money for college, although other accounts are much more useful for that purpose.

An UGMA/UTMA account is a custodian account that is opened by an adult who manages it for a minor. An alternative to this type of account for a minor is a trust, but an UGMA/UTMA account is simpler and less expensive to set up. There can be only one custodian and one minor for each account. The minor and custodian do not need to be related, but the custodian must be an adult and must be a person, not a corporation. The minor is the legal owner of the account and its assets (the beneficial owner), and the custodian (the nominal owner) is responsible for managing the account. The minor must have a Social Security number and will be taxed on the account earnings.

Because minors are not old enough to make trades, they cannot trade in their a

Since you're reading about Series 24: Uniform Gifts To Minors Act (UGMA) And Uniform Transfers To Minors Act (UTMA) Accounts, you might also be interested in:

Solomon Exam Prep Study Materials for the Series 24
Please Enable Javascript
to view this content!